Saturday, July 3

{ cupcakes with Katelin }

First of all, I get to spend the next WEEK with THIS GIRL! 


We're both leaving tomorrow to be leaders at 5/6th grade summer camp at Forest Home for the week! I could not be more excited. I was her leader at the same camp when she was in 5th grade. Love watching it all come full circle...partial circle...?

AND...the theme is "Mystery Mountain," so I'm crossing my fingers for some Alias/Sydney Bristow action. Although I realize that with 11 and 12-year-olds...this won't be happening.  

Back to the title of this post...cupcakes. 
This is one of those blog posts that I wish were a regular weekly installment.

Katelin came over to make banana cupcakes with honey-cinnamon frosting. We talked about new seasons of life, relationships, and trusting God when it doesn't make sense...and somehow related it all back to the frosting on our cupcakes! 



I will haphazardly measure and throw any and all ingredients into whatever I'm baking, EXCEPT for the baking soda or powder. There is a science to those two. One that I have not mastered yet. And until then, carefully leveled teaspoons it is.



I wasn't kidding when I said we related frosting to faith. The frosting recipe called for:





  • 1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar



  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature



  • 1 tablespoon honey



  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon






  • For the first two minutes it was SO dry. Too dry. Like I kept moving toward the fridge to grab some un-called-for milk, but Katelin persisted, "No Maddie, we just have to trust the recipe! It says to beat for five minutes. Let's just wait it out." It didn't seem like there was any way that the crumbly, dry mess in the bowl could possibly turn into anything resembling frosting any time soon, but we kept at it. FAITH. And what do you know...five minutes later, and smooth perfection abounded. 


    A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way? Proverbs 20:24 (NIV)


    Why Jesus never used that parable...we may never know...





    We were consumers that night. 

    ~All photos by me.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please include your email so I can better respond to you!